There is no doubt After Effects is a good Motion Graphics software. What makes it great is the scripting feature that acts like a magic spell to perform a series of operations.
You can use After Effects scripts to automate repetitive tasks, perform complex calculations, and even use some functionality not directly built into the software.
From creating a new composition to generating organized hierarchical folders in Project Panel, a few lines of code will get the job done.
Running an After Effects script is very easy, all you have to do is:
- Open up After Effects and go into File > Scripts > Run Script File.
- Select your script file and After Effects will automatically run it for you.
- If you wish to modify the script and play with the codes, then you can open it up with Script Editor by going into File > Scripts > Open Script Editor.
In the list down below, you’ll go through 8 After Effects scripts that are best known for saving time by minimizing a lot of manual work.
1. Cleaner 2.0V
Cleaner 2.0v is a script for Adobe After Effects that will help you organize your project file structure in seconds.
- Clean the project file structure in a second.
- Choose which folder to create.
- Rename the folder as you want.
- Delete unused files.
- Delete missing files.
- Bring Render comp to the top.
Express is an After Effects script which helps you edit or fix expressions in your project.
Finding an expression is finally an easy task. Navigate through all your expressions or find any erroneous scripts within a couple of clicks.
Replace part of multiple expressions at once. Toggle on/off any expression in your project.
- Find part of expressions inside your project.
- Find all expressions inside your project.
- Find all expressions with errors.
- Quickly edit expression.
- Enable / Disable single or multiple expressions.
- Replace a part of an expression in all expressions.
- Replace a part of an expression in selected expressions.
The Scripts Manager is a daily workflow enhancement when it comes to running and managing a large number of script files.
- Run Scripts from your User Interface.
- Integrate into existing User Interface.
- Adds newly available scripts at runtime.
- Choose a custom scripts folder location.
- Create favorites for quick access.
- Search for scripts.
New Project Pro 1.0v is a script that will help you speed up the process of making all that compositions, folders, etc at the beginning of making a project file.
Not only that but it will keep it clean and organized!
- Create default composition.
- Organize files in Assets folder.
- Automatic creation of placeholder compositions.
- Default text in Text compositions.
- Rename everything.
- Custom number of placeholder compositions.
Infocharts – Bar Graph is an After Effects script created to help you realize animated custom bar charts in a couple of clicks.
The generated chart can be furtherly customized to your need, it makes a great base for your own infographic projects.
- Automatic bar chart creation.
- Automatic animation of the chart.
- Live Preview (change and watch the results in realtime).
- Easy to customize (colors, fonts, etc).
- Load and Save data from CSV files.
- Load and Save theme/preset of your chart (colors, font size, etc).
- Load settings from the generated composition.
- Chart controller layer in the generated comp (change colors, bar thickness).
Swatcher is a script for creating and working with color palettes in After Effects.
You can open color palettes from files and keep them in your own swatch library. The Palette Forge window allows you to create your own palette with a maximum of 8 colors in one.
There are several other handy tools and features this script has to offer.
The official product page might help you out. Swatcher has been rated 5 stars in Envato Market for its flexibility and item quality.
- Loading palettes via link from a few services:
- kuler.adobe.com (ONLY MAC OS X)
- Opening palettes from a file. Supported an .ase or .aco file formats.
- Editing: controlling the brightness, removing and sorting colors in the Color swatch field.
- Creating a dynamically main swatch in the composition and binding all colors to it.
- Replacing all currently assigned colors in the composition of new palettes by one click.
- Working with Swatch Library, where you can keep your own palettes.
- Colorizer function, dynamically changing all colors of each selected layers, such as Text layers, Solid with Ramp or Fill effects and shape layers.
mControl is an automatic control generating tool for after effects. It is very useful to create one-click controls for your After Effect project or to create custom controls for some properties.
This script is compatible with After Effects CS4 and the above versions.
- Slider Control
- Angle Control
- 2D Point Control
- 3D Point Control
- CheckBox Control
- 2D Separate Control
- 3D Separate Control
mControl is a very powerful tool as it can create separate controls for the X,Y, and Z properties of any layer. It works with Transformation as well as Effects proprieties.
Flex Effector is an After Effects script which allows you to create your own easy-to-manage effects. It is ideal for creating templates, presets, etc.
- The widest selection of controllers and their parameters.
- Created pseudo effects are supported by all versions of After Effects that support FFX presets (PointControl with 3D option enabled, supported since CS5.5).
- Created pseudo effects saved in your project and work immediately and without errors on other computers.