The road to mastering something is a long process. The way to get there is through baby steps. Motion Graphics and Visual Effects is a constantly evolving field. Mastering it means not just getting good, but staying good through practice, experience, and continuous education.
Becoming a professional at anything takes time, effort and a lot of frustration and failure. Becoming a master doesn’t happen overnight, and there is no simple and quick solution to make it happen. They say it takes over 10,000 hours of doing something before you become a professional.
The good news is that the internet is the largest repository of free education the human beings have ever created. Find something simple that looks cool to you, and play with it. Then another, then another. That’s the only trick.
It is not about the software, it’s about what it is you specifically wish to achieve. There are many varied ways to make moving pictures, the most important thing is having a clear idea of what you want, and when you do, look on to similar things and find out how those were made. Then, like an aspiring artist, you copy, adapt, and when you do that enough times, then you are on your way to mastering something.
I personally forced myself to keep doing small projects and searched different tutorials on YouTube for the effects I wanted to achieve. It got a lot easier to use, for sure, but I don’t think I’ll master After Effects ever. You always find little things with it as you continue to work with the program.
Other online Resources for Mastering Adobe After Effects.
- Video Copilot – Video Copilot is a collaborative resource for training, design tools and artists whose goal is to show you what is possible and how effects can be created so that you can apply these techniques on your own creative adventures. Video Copilot also offers an After Effects Basic Training program for those who have just started with the software.
- Lynda.com – With Lynda.com After Effects tutorials, learn to design motion graphics and create animations, ranging from beginner to advanced. These courses demonstrate how to composite video and create special effects. Even how to use After Effects to design lower third graphics.
- Digital Tutors – Start learning with professional After Effects tutorials that have helped thousands of artists and designers like you get their first job.
- Creative Cow – Creative Cow is a community of Visual Effects artists around the globe. There are plenty of After Effects tutorials on Creative cow created by professional artists.
- Adobe Official Help Center – Adobe has a dedicated Online help center for After Effects featuring number of After Effects tutorials and guides for beginners.
- Tuts+ – This is a paid tutorial website offering great After Effects Tutorials. You can signup for a yearly subscription for just $45 and start learning After Effects.
- Motionworks – Motionworks is another website in our Online After Effects Tutorials list where you can find Tutorial and Training Videos on After Effects.
- Designer Today – This website offers After Effects tutorials in written format with related screenshots. You can consider this website if you do not wish to buffer video tutorials.
- CreativeDojo – The CreativeDojo is a blog and resource hosted by VinhSon Nguyen. The Dojo provides in-depth training tutorials for After Effects.
- Digital Arts – Free After Effects Tutorials that can be downloaded easily, consider bookmarking this website..
- After Effects Tutorials on YouTube – A YouTube channel by Mikey a.k.a. Long Live Mikey where you will find amazing After Effects Tutorials. New tutorials are added every friday.
Learning After Effects is same as learning how to hammer nails into you nostril. Just be dumb enough and try it often.